1. A civil society needs the kindness of strangers and acquaintances. The quality of tiny interactions in shops and streets seriously affects our daily wellbeing. No wonder we’re anxious about it.
2. An interesting study published in the Archive of Internal Medicine found that older women who used common dietary supplements died at slightly higher rates than women who did not rely on supplements. Other studies have not shown such a dramatic result and the authors note that other factors could have been affected the outcome. However it does raise the question whether one should concentrate more on having a healthy diet instead of taking supplements.
3. Botox is no longer limited to celebrities or those who have a particularly rugged “lived-in” look. It’s no longer age or gender that determines whether someone considers using Botox, it’s a simple principle of whether or not you want to inject yourself with chemicals for a “perfect” face. Just recently I met a 22 year female who told me she had had Botox on her forehead and around her eyes(!).
However, could Botox suddenly stop working after a few years of treatments? According to dermatologist Macrene Alexiades-Armenakas, “Studies have indicated that if people are injected with dosages of 100 units of Botox or more, the body will start to react against the product and increase antibody production. This means that after subsequent injections, the Botox will stop working. Muscles will start to recover rapidly, and the muscles that you injected won’t react the way they did the first time.”
4. Brrr it’s cold and the door draught excluder is out! Perfect time to make a pumpkin spice latte, mmm.
5. And finally, from Fauja Singh who completed a full marathon in Toronto this month, aged 100: “The secret to a long and healthy life is to be stress-free. If there’s something you can’t change then why worry about it? Be grateful for everything you have, stay away from people who are negative, stay smiling and keep running.”
Happy Halloween everyone!
Photo credit: Helena Price via flickr
You might also like:
- Pointspace’s monthly roundup | September
- What a Chinese classic can teach us about health and wellbeing