Bank holiday #1, Easter, the London Marathon and the hosepipe ban meant that the glorious first sightings of spring in March became a complete washout. For five minutes, followed by brilliant sunshine and then howling wind, some more sunshine and then a smattering of hail. Ah, the lovely London spring where you get four seasons rolled into one day, what thrill!
1. Politeness is great when you’re meeting someone for the first time, such as your future father-in-law or your new boss. But when it comes to your health, you can be too nice. Here are three ways that being polite can jeopardise your health and explain how to make better choices.
2. When you’re already plagued with relationship spats and financial woes, why is it that your immune system seems to abandon you too? Doctors have long known that high levels of stress may make people more vulnerable to illness, but now researchers report how psychological stress can wreak havoc on your health.
3. There is evidence that acupuncture is effective in treating a range of conditions including spinal injuries, infertility and the side effects of chemotherapy, and that its effects aren’t entirely due to the placebo effect. However, despite extensive research, the mechanism of this ancient healing art remains unknown.
4. Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is characterized by intense pain in the face and new research shows that acupuncture is effective for its treatment.
5. Over the years, a lot of produce has been given the “super” label, usually over levels of antioxidants. You may wonder what is it about these fruits that lifts them out of the ranks of the ordinary into exalted superfruit status.
Image: ajbatac via Flickr
You might also like: